As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The UW College of the Environment Marketing and Communications team has an outstanding opportunity for a Marketing and Communications Specialist.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist is responsible for day-to-day management and production of the College's email marketing and social media programs. This position is also responsible for managing the flow of editorial content to College communication channels, and produces, writes, and edits stories that inform, engage, cultivate, and recognize College audiences.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist uses their experience and editorial judgement to manage email marketing, news, and informational programs for large public and internal audiences.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist has three primary roles:
• Manages email marketing campaigns for the College and its units, ensuring that all messages meet marketing goals, brand requirements, and editorial standards • Reviews, configures, and approves all College and unit marketing email messages sent through Marketo, including proof-reading, email list review, scheduling, and troubleshooting • Writes and edits College email marketing messages, including the monthly College newsletter, event invites, and other materials • Consults with College email marketers on goals, brand alignment, and best practices
Content Management and Writing
• Manages the College's social media program, including monitoring social media channels, writing and editing posts, and responding to members of the UW community and general public • Creative writing, editing, scheduling, and day-to-day management of College news releases and marketing content, including website updates, social media posts, event materials, print pieces, and faculty/staff/student/donor profiles • Manages the College event calendar and works with schools and departments to promote events • Participates on College or UW-wide committees and other forums that address the role of communications and marketing
Coordination and Administration
• Helps coordinate events, including production of event materials, tracking RSVPs, and staffing events • Helps with office duties, such as tracking print materials, credit card charges and equipment, and scheduling complex meetings • Responds to requests for information and develops correspondence as needed • Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree in English, communications, journalism, marketing or a related field • At least two years of experience in related field.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Excellent storytelling and creative writing abilities and demonstrated expertise in the application of writing and editing styles, e.g. AP Style. • Able to interpret technical and scientific information for a non-technical audience • Excellent proofreading and editing abilities • Demonstrated experience managing Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram in a professional environment • Demonstrated experience managing email marketing campaigns, producing and writing messages, and managing audience lists • Strong interpersonal and customer service skills; poised, professional manner with the ability to express oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communications • Ability to communicate in a direct and professional manner that engages dialogue in a manner that resolves differences. Self-motivated, pro-active, adaptable, quick leaner with keen attention to detail; able to work at high standards in a high-energy environment • Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive relationships; actively contributes as a member of working teams • Ability to work independently, problem solve, take initiative, set priorities and handle multiple projects efficiently and effectively • Demonstrated creativity, organizational ability, and strong attention to detail • Values the UW’s commitment to inclusiveness; demonstrates respect and commitment to diversity • Proficient with Mac OS and Windows; demonstrated strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as experience working with websites and social media • Interest in environmental science and policy • Ability to work outside of normal business hours on occasion • Ability to travel to campus sites and off-site locations while operating University vehicle.
• Experience creating and managing email campaigns in Marketo • Experience managing and creating content in WordPress • Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS • Experience working in an academic environment
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.